Sunday, July 15, 2012

Showdown: Estee Lauder, L'Oreal and Maybelline BB creams


Showdown: Estee Lauder, L'Oreal and Maybelline BB creams

I didn't want to jump in to this new BB fan craze so somehow I was there the day these hit the drugstores. Originally this was just going to be a comparison between the L'Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream and the Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream... however after going to Nordstrom I got this generous sample of the Estee Lauder Day Wear BB Cream so I decided to test the three of them.

Let's hit them all individually. I should say that these all come in a squeezy-tube which is perfect.

Estee Lauder:
  • Cost: $38
  • Claim: This lightweight BB Creme delivers: An instant, even-toned, healthy look. Powerful protection with our proven Super Anti-Oxidant Complex and SPF 35. High-performance, oil-free hydration for All Skintypes. This comes in two colors; light and dark. I used the light and I'm NW25, olive complexion.
  • Scent: It's got a foundationy-scent. I don't mind it at all.
  • Results: This product, I have to say was my favorite of the three. For the following reasons: it wasn't liquid-y, it gave the most coverage though I still needed foundation, had SPF35!! The best protection thus far, and it helped control the oil in my face, I used it instead of my favorite primer. I was very impressed with this BB cream, I still would've preferred better coverage - it felt like a tinted moisturizer but with more oil control. So if you're looking for a tinted moisturizer for like oily skin you might like this, pick up a sample at your local Estee Lauder counter and see if this works for you.
L'Oreal:
  • Cost: Around $10
  • Claim: This multi-tasking beutifying cream delivers multiple beautifying actions: hydrates, corrects, evens and perfects. It's ultra lightweight and blends in seamlessly for a perfect natural finish.  This comes in 4 different colors ranging from light to deep which I think will serve all skin tones. I thought the "light" was going to be too light for me but it ends up blending in perfectly to my skin.
  • Scent: It also smells like foundation type of scent, I don't mind it.
  • Results: My biggest problem with this is that it's got no SPF. This, I think, is the worst of it all because it's encouraging you to use this as a moisturizer. What I ended up doing was using my regular moisturizer which has SPF and then this on top. I thought that once you get used to the 'grittiness' that the formula has this was a very good product. It covered like a tinted moisturizer, it controlled my oil and it didn't feel heavy at all. I still would've liked it to have a bit more coverage because I need it. But if you've got pretty good skin and have SPF in your moisturizer this is a good buy. 
Maybelline:
  • Cost: About $8
  • Claim: BB creams combine skincare + makeup in 1 simple step 8-in-1 Skin Perfector: Blurs imperfections, Brightens, Evens skin tone, Smoothes, Hydrates, Enhances, Protects with SPF 30, 0% oils and heavy ingredients
  • Scent: I had no problem with this scent, smells like a tinted moisturzier.
  • Results: This is a tinted moisturizer, it's as simple as that. I didn't feel that it burred anything, didn't even out my skin tone, didn't prime or control oil. It does have SPF which most tinted moisturizers do which is why I think it should be used as such. I didn't like it, it was even messy to apply because too much product came out of the top and it was very liquidy. I don't even think I'm going to finish my bottle, it felt too greasy on my skin as the day wore on.
Final Thoughts and Verdict: If you can afford it, get the Estee Lauder one. If you cannot, go for the L'Oreal one. However, if you have dry skin you might like the Maybelline product. Remember to use moisturizer with SPF if you're going to use the L'Oreal one. Hope this helps some of you, I've added some shots below!



Left to right: Estee Lauder, L'Oreal and Maybelline. Click to enlarge.

UPDATE: Today I went out and used the L'Oreal BB cream as foundation by applying 2 coats instead of one and set it with loose powder. It looked GREAT, I think this is my clear favorite over the Maybelline. 

No comments:

Post a Comment