Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Product Review: Butter London's Trout Pout or how a nail polish turned into my boyfriend

Product Review: Butter London's Trout Pout



Cost: $14
Where to Purchase: Ulta or Sephora
Claims: A heavily pigmented, high-fashion nail lacquer.

Thoughts: If there was one color to represent all of Summer 2012, it's this color. It's the absolutely perfect peachy creamsicle color with the right amount of pink to make it grown up yet whimsical. I have to say that when I first saw this color it was love at first sight. I felt like our eyes were meeting across a field and we skipped towards each other, with open arms while music played in the background. I HAD to have it, it was obsessive. I couldn't even function at work. When I finally got my hands on it I quickly did a manicure and like all relationships, we encountered our first roadblock. I quickly discovered that behind the perfect bottle, the perfect color was not living up to its promises. It was a 3 coater. A three coater is when I need to apply 3 coats in order to achieve perfect opacity. It was streaky. But, like all relationships, the color was so pretty, I was willing to overlook it. The first day on it was beautiful. I took it to an art fair and showed my nails off to friends and they were wowed by the unique color and many decided to get it for themselves. That's when trouble started. I wake up with my color the second day and turned to admire it once more and gasp in horror as I spotted a slight chip. My relationship with my polish was quickly crumbling before my eyes but I decided maybe it was me. I had done something wrong. Like washed my favorite water cup. Or perhaps opened an envelope too violently. No way was my perfect polish responsible for the chip. By 6pm that second day my relationship was in shambles. I had 3 chips and it was quickly becoming evident that I was way more invested in this relationship that the polish was. By day 4 I had to remove it from my nails. It was chipping like crazy so the polish went back on my polish rack for me to admire. Because it looks AMAZING on the bottle but like that relationship it can also be very deceiving. 
How I use it: 3 coats and Seche Vite top coat.

Rating: D (C'mon, Butter! Fix this formula!)

I should state that I still wear it, when I know I'm only going to have it on for a few days, if I paid $14 for it you best believe I will wear it and pretend everything is fine!



No comments:

Post a Comment